Saturday, May 5, 2012

Friday Day Trip

I went to a quilt show in Sparta on Friday and was able to visit an old family friend who lives there.  We had a great time.  It was a beautiful drive in the country there and back.

They have a beautiful home on a seven acre lake.

I have always admired Terrie.  She is spunky, outgoing, and likes to try all kinds of things. Here she is using her BB gun, trying to scare the geese, who like to poop in their lake front yard.

Their home is near a fabulous overlook.  We stopped there for a few pictures on our way to the quilt show. In our younger years, when we both had very dark hair, some people would say we looked like we were family.  We were in a way.  I used to be married to her brother.



 She toured me around the little city of Sparta, where they have a town square, murals on the fire station building and other places in town. They even had some quilts hung up down town for the quilt show.

In the rural setting around Sparta there are many barns with quilt blocks painted on them.  At the quilt show, I was given a map showing how to get to all the ones in the area.


Terrie has taken art lessons, piano lessons, and she is on the Board of Directors for the annual White County fair. She also does cross stitch, a bit of quilting, she gardens, and she makes the absolute best coconut cream pies.  She let me pick out one of her paintings. They were all so good!  I loved the light in this one and it is the one that came home with me.

I can't imagine a better way to spend one of my Friday's off work - a drive in the country,  reconnecting with a dear friend, seeing beautiful quilts hung in a rural fairgrounds setting.  I was even able to do a little outlet shopping in Crossville on my way home.  A great day.  A really great day.


No comments: