Sunday, August 29, 2010

Batik BOM

My two BOM's were very involved this month.  I just finished the August blocks for the Batik Beauty.  Had to make 120 flying geese.  All caught up for the month of August.  Now, hopefully, I can get back to cutting up shirts for the quilt for my son.

Homemade Oxygen Bleach

My husband wears dress shirts to work.  I have had a difficult time always being able to get out the "ring around the collar" on them.  He also has some bad stains on the necks of some of his t-shirts (we think from the sunscreen he wears when he fishes).  I found a recipe for homemade oxygen bleach.  As I write this I have 3 white dress shirts and one white t-shirt soaking.  I read it may take up to a whole day to get rid of the stain.

For a laundry tub or large bucket: Pour a small box of baking soda in  and add hot water.  Mix to dissolve; add 400ml of hydrogen peroxide; and more water and the stained clothes.  Soak over night or longer Check periodically and stir them.

For a spray bottle: One cup of hot water, (distilled is best), half a cup of baking soda, half cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Spray on stains before laundering; spray on vegetables and fruits to keep them fresh longer; can be used on grout, lawn furniture and anything else that needs to be whitened, brightened, or sanitized.

**NEVER mix vinegar with this!

It is safe and natural......(I'll let you know how it worked on the shirts!)

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Smart Phone Bags

A friend gave me a a pattern for a little bag, perfect for my new phone.  I've made two.  I found several types of fasteners to use to attach it to my purse  I have two quilted backpack style purses that I love.  My new bags fasten on the handles.  I tried to coordinate the colors.

Monday, August 16, 2010

Block #8

Just finished "Gettysburg" the block #8 in the Civil War Reproduction quilt.  Yippee!!  I am caught up.  I had to make four of these.


I am ready to get back on the shirt quilt for Elijah.  He brought me two more light blue shirts to add to the mix.  Guess I'll try to get some cut into the 2 1/2 in ch strips this evening.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Finally Finished

It weighs a ton!

Saturday, August 14, 2010

What a booger!

I am using the correct needle on my longarm for denim quilting, but man, is it a booger!!  I think I need to adjust the bar some, so it won't keep getting caught on the thick seams....and I even pressed all the seams open!

July blocks finished

Finally, I've completed the July Civil war blocks.  They were very difficult!
I messed up a bit, well actually several times, so four of them are a tad bit different than the other four.  It'll work though. I am reminded of a verse today, "The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord," Job 1:21.  Yesterday we heard that the adult son of some very dear friends, passed away unexpectantly.

Friday, August 6, 2010

Changes to the denim quilt

After I got the flannel for the back of my denim I quilt, I just wasn't satisfied with the bit of red on the front.  So, I removed the red strip, and the border.  Cut the border down to 3 inches, put it back on.  The quilt is still 72 x 72.  With the bigger border I thought it was almost too big and heavy for a lap quilt.  This helps a little.  I am now going to use some of the flannel for a bias binding to add the touch of red.