Friday, April 6, 2012

Healthy Eating

I have always enjoyed learning new things.  Lately it has been how to eat healthy while limiting our meat and dairy.  As of late, this has been my breakfast of choice....
The only change I've made in this recipe (found under the recipe tab) is to add about 1/4 cup of ground flax seeds.  That adds some of those good omega-3 fats. I use about 1/2-1 cup of granola to some almond milk each morning.

You always hear, "you need meat in your diet to get adequate protein."  Not necessarily.  These shelled tender soybeans give you a whopping 12 grams of protein for a 1/2 cup serving. I purchased the frozen ones and microwaved them, thinking later this evening I'll add them to a salad or stir fry for supper.  They really taste good.  I found myself snacking on them as they cooled, even without seasoning, such as salt or pepper.  They have a very light, slightly nutty flavor.  I have a friend (hi Wanda!), who eats them as a snack during the day.
These can be served as your meat along side other cooked or raw vegetables as well as in a salad and stir fry.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I've been a meat-free vegetarian for over 30 years now, and it hasn't killed me yet! It's really refreshing to see the healthy foods you are eating nowadays; usually quilt blogs are full of pictures of really yummy but unhealthy stuff. Especially since we spend a lot of time sitting and sewing, it's easy to put on extra weight. I for one feel better when I eat better and maintain a healthy weight. Keep up the good work!