Friday, November 24, 2017

Thanksgiving

The hubby and I were asked to join a friend's family Thanksgiving dinner yesterday.  We had a great time  There were 28 people there! Lots of food and fun.
Our Hostess......love this woman!
After the big meal....
We love their dog too.
 I know holidays can be difficult for some.  When your kids are not able to come home, or your parents are now gone.  This is the first holiday season that both my parents are gone.  The last couple of years has been difficult trying to figure out how to celebrate since my mom was in poor health and hardly able to get out of the assisted living.  But this year, she is gone.  It was nice to have friends that invited us to join their family celebration.

Today I was thinking of my Daddy, who has been gone eight years. He loved anything chocolate.  For years I'd make chocolate pies just for him, and sometimes chocolate fudge cake. So today, I decided to make chocolate pies, in his memory.




Feeling like an orphan today.  I've got so much to be thankful for, but I still miss my parents.

Now, to end on a happy note.  My son celebrated Thanksgiving my submitting his doctoral thesis! I'll share what he posted on Facebook.......

I have a lot to be thankful for this year, but one thing is one of the most significant. This morning, I submitted the fruit of over 3 years' full-time work, my doctoral thesis: "The Gospel of Matthew in a Sixth-Century Manuscript Family: Scribal Habits in the Greek Purple Codices 022, 023 and 042."
Upon submission of a PhD thesis, it is customary at the University of Edinburgh to take a sweet from the sweetie jar. I thought it most appropriate, given the subject of my research, to take a purple lolly.
Our time in Edinburgh has been amazing, and I am deeply thankful for everybody who has been there for us and helped us survive it. One person in particular deserves special mention. I could never have done it without Katie (who took these pictures). Not just taking care of our children and keeping us fed while we're here but I mean her presence in my life. I wouldn't be the person I am now—someone who had the ability to undertake doctoral research—if it weren't for her. For her I am more thankful than for my completed and submitted thesis.
Soli Deo gloria


Of course, I am one proud momma!

I'd love to hear how you spent Thanksgiving.


2 comments:

Jan said...

Since my kids got married (all but one and his wedding is Dec 1), I relinquished most of family type holidays so that my daughters and son-in-law could continue their family traditions with their families. The only date my family keeps is Christmas Eve. All the other holidays are celebrate either the week before or the week after.

I though I heard a booming noise...now I realize it was you, bursting with pride. How proud of your son you must be. Add my congratulations to him from one of your 'invisible friends' just north of Pittsburgh.

Happy Holidays,
Jan

Rachel said...

Jan, I appreciate your sweet comments. How good of you to 'relinquish' your holidays so they could make their own traditions. Love that and totally understand......and yes, you may have heard a booming noise, lol....I am so proud of him. Thank you my 'invisible' friend. I appreciate you stopping by and chatting.