Sunday, November 19, 2017

Half Marathon and New Recipe

I did the Secret City Half Marathon on Saturday.  It was tough, as usual, but also as usual, so thankful I can do it, and very glad I did.  My friend also ran it, and it was her first half marathon.  She did awesome and finished just ahead of me in 2:37.  My time was 2:39 and I was almost 3 minutes behind her.  She's a natural (and a couple years younger than me).
We finished 10 and 11 out of 16 in our age group.  I had been having a few knee problems, so I knew I wasn't going to PR.  Evidently, I didn't train as I should have, and done more leg lunges to build my legs, which helps the knees. Man, it's tough getting older.  You have more overuse injuries, takes longer to heal, and you invariably get slower with each year...but I am not stopping!
Our pre-race selfie.
And one more at the finish line.

Now, on to the new recipe.  Ok, don't think this is gross, it is incredibly delicious!
Chicken crust Pizza.  It's aaahhhhmazing.  I've been trying to make a really good home made pizza for years.  It seems I never get it just right.  This will be my go to from now on.  And the best part is ---- it is only about 150 calories and 5 carbs per slice. Want the recipe?

Chicken Crust Pizza

Recipe courtesy of Keith McDaniel  11/18.2017

The crust is one can of chicken (12.5 ounces), 1/3 cup of grated parmesan and one egg.

Chop the chicken up really fine and spread it out on parchment paper and bake it for about 8-10 minutes at 350 to help get the moisture out.

Once I take it out of the oven, crank the oven up to about 475. Then mix the chicken with the egg and parmesan. Then put it back on the parchment paper, put another piece of parchment on top and spread it out with a rolling pin, about 10-12 inches in diameter and about ¼” thick.

Bake the crust at 475 for about 8-10 minutes, then take it out of the oven, spread about a 1/4-1/2 cup of pizza sauce on it, add some shredded cheese (mozz or any kind of cheese blend - I usually use a pizza blend), add toppings (onion, green peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes), add some more of the cheese on top and bake it at 475 for another 8-10 minutes. Take it out, let it cool and then slice it.


The entire pizza is only about 20 carbs and is enough for two good servings (4 slices).  Normally one serving is very filling and enough for me (Rachel).

Below is what the crust looked like before I did the first 8-10 minutes in the oven without the toppings.
Then when finished....
It really was delicious when I made it last night, so much so that I made another one for our dinner tonight. You could use fresh chicken I'm sure, and I probably will the next time. I'll just have to decide who to cook it and chop it finely. My brother has lost about 100 pounds on a low carb diet and has all kinds of great recipes.  This one is definitely a winner.

No comments: