Saturday, December 13, 2014

Using protein powder

Everyone is probably pretty familiar with using protein powder for smoothies. I thought I'd try to find some other recipes for it. Yesterday when I got groceries, the bag with the eggs fell over and a few cracked. I wanted to use them today, so I found a recipe that makes French toast using protein powder.

I used some of my honey wheat homemade bread, eggs, almond milk, a scoop of vanilla protein powder, some cinnamon and a touch of vanilla extract. Then I topped it off with some homemade maple syrup. It was a bit heavy but very yummy. I had it with a cup of Royal Tea that came from The Elephant House in Edinburgh. The Elephant House is supposedly where J. K. Rowling spent a lot of her time writing the Harry Potter series books.
If you've never tried making homemade syrup, you should. I'll never buy syrup again. I used one cup of water, one cup of white sugar, one cup of brown sugar, and a tablespoon of maple extract. I could only find imitation maple extract but I thought it was still good. I've read about a product called Mapleleine, but never seen it in a store. if you can find it, you only use a half teaspoon of it.
Still getting organized from my long trip away. Need to put up the Christmas tree, do some cooking, get in a run, and believe it or not, I am wanting to start on one of the two baby quilts I need to make by spring. Yay for quilting. It has been a long time since I've made anything.

 

3 comments:

Dolly said...

I've been making my own maple syrup my whole adult life. I grew up with it, and it always made me think that store-bought syrup was way too thick by comparison. I use a cup of sugar to 1/2 cup of water, and 1/2 teaspoon of the flavoring. I looked at the last box I bought, and sure enough,it is the Mapleine that you mentioned, which IS still an imitation. I know that I used to buy the real thing, but I can no longer find it in this little town where I grew up, live, and shop.

Now, I need to find the protein powder to add to MY smoothies !

Enjoy your retirement......I doubt that you'll be very still !

Rachel said...

Thank you Dolly! I am going to look for the Mapleleine. I found my protein powder at Target but it comes in a huge container. And you are right, I'm never still!

Michelle S. Prince said...

So happy, i am finding the recipe to mix with nutribiotic rice protein powder, the taste is so bad.