Sunday, May 17, 2020

May 17th - 35 years ago

Today my son turns 35 years old.  I can't believe it. Really.  I remember the day/night so vividly. Living in the little dumpy apartment on the outskirts of the little town of Decatur.  I woke up on the 16th with a slight pain in my back.  My doctor's appointment was later that afternoon.  Was I in labor?  I had no idea.  My husband decided not to go to work that day.  I think originally I was to drive myself to the Knoxville appointment.  We were excited and not really scared.  We got ready and decided to head to Knoxville even though we were hours too early.  We stopped at his aunt and uncle's house for a little visit. Once we told them we thought I was in labor, they hurried us out.  Then we stopped at my mom and dad's house.  Again, "You are in labor! Head to the hospital."  I skipped breakfast thinking I was in labor, but by the time we made it to Knoxville I was starving and asked my husband to stop at McDonald's for some fries and an orange soda.  Maybe I really wasn't in labor.  Well, I was. At my 2 o'clock appointment I had dilated to 2 cm and was sent on over to the hospital.  I later regretted those fries and orange drink.
The little fella had a hard time coming in to this world. I didn't experience much pain at all but was offered an epidural when I was dilated to 4 or 5 cm. I took it. Around 9 pm I was ready to push, but he was facing sideways and wouldn't budge.  They tried forceps, a suction cup on his head, and finally around 1 am, on May 17th, decided to do a C-section. He was here! 7 lb 8 oz, 20" long. The baby I loved and tried to have for several years. I was 26 years old but think I looked much younger. I had braces at the time.

This baby, this child, was the absolute love of my life.  Our lives have taken some turns and twists, filled with happy days, carefree times, friends, loved ones, but also sad times, disappointments, and heartaches.  But isn't life like that for everyone? I will probably always ask myself, did I do a good job raising him?  Was I a good mother?  He has gone on to do some incredible things.  He is a doctor, a PhD, specializing in New Testament manuscripts. I am so proud of him.  It hasn't been easy. I am just so very thankful God let me be his mother. And he has blessed me with a wonderful daughter-in-law and two grandchildren I love every bit as much as I loved him when he was their ages. God is so good and can make good out of everything, even our mistakes.

Ok, enough of the reminiscing, but it does feel good to do that every so often, agree?

I've started my third scrap quilt.  Quarantine, my first one, will be published in the Jan/Feb 2021 issues of Quiltmaker - yay-hoo!!  The second, Quarantine 2, I've hung in my sewing room.
Um, don't think the room is always that neat.  I just try to do a good cleanup after I finish a project.  And now, I've started a 6" block log cabin.  Not paper pieced, but still some tiny pieces.


Trying not to obsess about finishing this one, just trying to take my time and enjoy other things besides just sewing.  I'm still running and did a 3 miler this morning before church.  I did a long run on Thursday and hadn't run since, so I needed it.  It was hard to make myself go, but wow, I felt so very good afterwards.  Enjoyed a wonderful church service. Social distancing - no hugging, handshakes, and sitting in every other pew, but it was so good to be back in church.  I have also restarted my wild yeast sourdough.  I wasn't that pleased with the taste so I stopped for a while and put some in the freezer.  Took it out a few days ago and started feeding.  Wanted to try the parker house rolls today.  Haven't tasted them yet, but they smell divine.
I definitely should have made them smaller.  Live and learn.

My son and his family are planning on coming back to the US in August.  We can't wait.  I've ordered car seats for the kids.  Without cars there they haven't needed them.
May seem silly but I 'tried them out' in my car.  My granddaughter and her momma have been propagating plants and little Emma was sad about leaving her Wandering Jew plant.  I found one, and have pulled off some small pieces of it to try to make her a couple of plants just for her.

 Also was able to get some herbs planted -- basil, chives, parsley, to go with my rosemary from last year.
Life is good.  I am blessed.  I am thankful for these days.  I'm also thankful I have a past that I can visit from time to time, to enjoy the memories.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Happy birthday to your son! I find it hard to believe that our kids are the age we think we are-until we look in the mirror!

I got a kick out of the car seats. Three of my grands are 5 and under. We keep two car seats permanently installed in Ron's SUV. Last year we went to his 60th high school reunion. Would you believe, we were the only car in the lot with two car seats!

Is your son coming back to the US permanently? Woo Hoo!

Rachel said...

Gosh, I know what you mean about looking in the mirror. I guess inside we are always young....lol. Yes, they plan to return permanently! Hooray!! Hopefully they will live with us until he gets settled in a job. He has an offer and right now are negotiating whether he can work from our town for a little while before they have to move.