Saturday, January 25, 2020

Cabinet project

Pretty sure I bit off more than I can chew on this project.  I've worked very hard the last two days.  My legs are so sore from constantly being up and down.  My whole body is sore.  I've made over 100 pocket holes (the slanted hole for hidden screw joinery) and I'm just now to the "hard part."  So here is a play by play...frame of 2x2s half built...
 Frame finished....
Board for drawer fronts and doors cut.  Got the doors put together.
Whew!  getting that top on was a job.....cause the corners and boards weren't exactly square.
 Figured out several ways to make things work.  Clamps are a must.
 Played with stains....decided on special walnut.
 This Kreg tool is 'da bomb for making pocket holes....
 One side going in....
 This is how the doors and drawers will look when the hardware is installed.
Making progress. The plywood pieces are in.
 On one board the grain goes horizontal.  To get all the plywood pieces out of only one board, I had to cut it like that.
 PLENTY  of mistakes were made, but that is how I learn.  Forgot to check the size of the nails in the nail gun. Oops.
 That's better. Nice and level.
Some of the problems I had to deal with were because of the imperfect boards.  However, if you are going to use the cheaper stock lumber from Lowe's or Home Depot, this is what you have to deal with sometimes - warped boards.

Ran out of the 1x6 boards, so decided to end the day with a little stain.
There are three different types of wood on this project so it will be very 'rustic' due to the imperfect wood and the different way each wood takes the stain.
The doors are just leaned against the frame below.  Just wanted to get a visual of how it is going to look.
Only one minor injury today. Honestly, I don't even remember doing this.
Tomorrow I plan to take a break on this project.  I'll get back to it on Monday and hopefully I'll have some ideas of how to get those drawers built and mounted, and the doors hung.

No comments: