Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Faux Printmaker's Cabinet

When the hubby goes on his fishing trips, I do projects.  Sometimes, big projects.  I drive him nuts with the tools and sawdust so I plan projects around his trips.  That way, all my junk is out, and I can just close up shop when I get tired.  I ambitiously decided to make this cabinet in the two weeks he was gone.  It is finished.  First, a comparison with the inspiration piece - a $1600 Restoration Hardware piece. I used a free plan created by Ana White. You can find it on her site www.ana-whitediy.com and search for Faux Printmaker's Cabinet.


I am such a novice that I didn't know you should make sure all the 2x2's are squared up with the top/bottom/sides before continuing.  I had a small square and thought that was what I needed to check.  Sometimes it was every so slightly off, but I thought ok.  I learned 'ever so slightly off' at the join can mean an inch off at the top. Oh my.  I had the frame all built, but after building the doors and drawers, and them not fitting correctly, I realized I had to do something different.  I adjusted and adjusted the drawer slides to make them work.  I rebuilt two of the drawers and made sure they were square.  But before you think I'm 'so talented' check out the back - ha!
 When your center supports are crooked you get to shim up the sides of the drawer slides, or the drawers pull out crooked. And here you see another mistake. I had to cut this drawer down, hence the half pocket holes.
 This one is pretty messy, but it worked!  Obviously, I am not a perfectionist.  My motto has always been finished is better than perfect. The piece has no back, of which I am glad. Easier to get to, to adjust the drawers, and I'm still thinking of how I could take it down to those supports to make them straight, but then I'd have to remove all the rigging I did....goodness.  It was a job trying to experiment my way to making it work.
But, when it was all said and done. I do love it. This drawer turned out well.
 I had to get two different kinds of hinges before settling on one that would be completely concealed. Then I had to practice mounting them by screwing them in spare boards and playing with them.
 I used Varathane Special Walnut stain then went over it with Weathered Oak to tone down the red some.
 I originally bought the cup pulls like the inspiration piece, but realizing they would have to be screwed in from the inside with a countersink bit, I changed to these little vintage ones. I love them and think they really make the piece special.  Easy to install and cheap at only about $20 for all of them.
 I tea stained card stock which was printed with numbers in the typewriter font.
So there you have it, not perfect, but something I learned so much from, and am glad I attempted it. And it looks great in our room.

No comments: