Saturday, March 24, 2012

Cow's Milk Alternative

We live in such a blessed era.  My father had trouble digesting milk a few years ago and there wasn't as many cow's milk alternatives available as there are today in our area.  I have tried the Almond milk and love it.  I've always loved milk, but the last few years, I've noticed my tummy doesn't tolerate much of it.  Check out the differences in the picture.  Although the almond milk doesn't supply as much protein, overall it is much healthier, and provides more calcium. We usually get the 1% cow's milk.  The almond milk has a thicker, creamier consistency, much like 2% or even whole, but has the same fat as the 1%.
And in case you can't read the fine print, almond milk does give you less potassium and protein, but has less sugar, fewer calories, and provides iron and other minerals cow's milk doesn't give you. It is more expensive, but for someone who can't tolerate much of cow's milk, and needs more calcium (I have osteopenia) I'm sold on it.

No comments: