Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Breakfast

Brown rice, dried cranberries, sliced almonds and a pat of butter, a bit of sugar, and a little milk.

On the advice of his doctor, my son is trying to do a plant based diet (no meat, or dairy), for health reasons.  So when he and his wife came in for their very short visit ( he preached at a local church on Sunday), I tried to make a dish that would accommodate his diet.  I made a stir fry with brown rice, tofu, mixed vegetables, peanuts, pineapples, and teriyaki sauce.  It was really good.  With his encouragement,  I watched a movie called "Forks over Knives."  It is a documentary discussing the health benefits and research in a whole foods, plant based diet.  There is evidence that this kind of diet can even reverse heart disease, diabetes, and many other chronic illnesses, while providing energy, stamina, and shedding excess pounds.

So today, I tried to make a fairly healthy breakfast with some of the leftover rice.  I am going to try to start incorporating some of these ideas in our diet as well.  

No comments: