Monday, December 26, 2011

Some Interesting Family History

Today I took my mom to see her sister, who is in a nursing home in a little city an hour or so away.  As we were traveling she told me a story I'd never heard.  She said my grandfather, my Dad's dad, was commissioned to carve a cemetery marker.  I was able to find in on Findagrave.com, a pretty interesting site for those interested in ancestry.  If he carved it soon after this person died, he was about 30 years old at the time.

I've heard many stories of this grandfather.  He died when I was young, so I don't remember much about him.  From what I've heard he was a very unique person, with exceptional intelligence, however, he was also a very difficult and hard man. I think my dad inherited much of his intelligence and creativity, but thank goodness my dad was more like his sweet mother, and he was determined not to be the kind of man his dad was.

 Anyway, I thought this was pretty unique, and a bit of family history I'd never heard.


2 comments:

Mary Johnson said...

That's a very cool marker.

I've found some family graves from that site and tonight I found a Cemetery Project in one of the counties my Mom's family came from and found a few more.

Julia said...

Thanks for documenting this sis! I never knew about this either. Yes we did get some of his creativity. I think of Granny Mac often and remember what a godly woman she was and the compassion she showed us as her grandchildren.