Saturday, August 15, 2020

Ring Cycles

I finished all the 9 patch blocks and worked on the Y seams.  Such a headache!  I worked all day, watched multiple Y seam how-to videos and they still kept coming out "ruffled." It took me seven circles, before I figured out the problem. Seven!  That is what? 35 Y seams!!  The pattern came with a template and also instructions for cutting the setting triangles.  The instructions were not correct. I was having to re-do several seams in each circle taking bigger and bigger seams to get it to lay flat.  I am just very thankful that it finally occurred to me to check the setting triangles I cut, against the template.  They were 3/8" too big. So I'm actually a little excited to try to make a few more tomorrow afternoon, after church, while the hubby naps. They should go together much easier.

Blurry helps to see the rings better.


3 comments:

Jan said...

When I first started quilting, 30+ years ago, I did everything by hand. I would tackle those Y seams without thought.

About 10 years ago, I began doing things by machine and it took only 2 or 3 projects when I decided there were enough non-Y patterns to keep me busy.

You are braver than you know...

Rachel said...

Ha Jan! I'm not sure it is brave. I think it is stubborn. They are going better today, but still very far from perfect. Now at least I know I can get this one done, eventually. But it may be a while before I tackled another Y seam pattern. :)

Neil And Iraiza - said...

This was a lovvely blog post