Friday, November 1, 2019

Wild Yeast Continued

Tomorrow is bake day!  I'm so excited.  I've tried to follow the directions to ensure my success, but since I started a day early, I figured I'll have a little left over for pancakes, except I will need just a little more.....so, I added a couple extra feedings into the week's schedule.  I should have enough for the two pans of bread and some yummy sourdough pancakes.

I prettied the things up that will stay on my counter.  A nice old glass jug for the distilled water, and a glass lidded container for the flour.

This is what it looked like today.....
Just look at all those luscious bubbles.

The book recommends baking the first couple of pans in round glass baking dishes.  I found some cheap at Big Lots today ($7 each) but I wanted to make a loaf too.  The recipe is the same for both so I'm doing one round artisan style loaf and a somewhat wider than normal loaf. MaryJane Butters, the author of "Wild Bread" recommends glass containers with lids to keep moisture in while the bread rises. I'm expecting a 6-8 hour rise.
I was not able to find regular loaf pans with lids however, I found three of these small rectangular glass baking dishes, with lids, in my cabinet.  Yay!  They are just slightly wider than a regular loaf but I think will still work great.  I have all my supplies ready for tomorrow.  Stay tuned.  I will post pictures even if they don't turn out.  I'm sure I'll learn something if they aren't quite right, but I am hoping for the best.

Sourdough is a very healthy bread -  doesn't spike insulin, packed with nutrients, easy to digest.  So if you are a bread lover like me, why not try to make the very best?  I so hope this will become a new hobby.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Can't wait to hear about your newest adventure!

Rachel said...

I assume you are talking about the wild yeast bread. I've tried and tired. It bubbles and rises great now and looks fabulous but the taste just isn't as good as other recipes. I've decided to give it up, almost. I put my starter in the freezer except just a bit in the bowl and added yeast, water, potato flakes, and sugar to make a bread I made years ago. I've read it will pick up wild yeast as it matures, but it is started with commercial yeast. I'm hoping I can keep it going and make some good tasting bread.