Saturday, October 26, 2019

Wild Yeast, and a new project.

Trying my hand at making a wild yeast sourdough.  I started it last weekend but it didn't do well, probably because I didn't follow the directions like I should have.  I now have a renewed drive to be successful, and have poured over the book, "Wild Bread," learning what I need to do.  I've got the supplies, the recommended flour and water, and I'm ready....

I am also trying to get the hang of homemade crusts.  I've made two now and I think I'm almost there.  I started with lattice on my pie I made yesterday, but quickly gave that up.  It has a 'rustic' look (read lattice failure- ha) but it tasted great! It was a peach/apple. I didn't have fresh peaches and used canned but it was still a great pie.

I used some of my half-way failed sourdough mixture in a regular yeast bread mix and it gave it a little punch.  Tasted good.  I have two little grandkids that love to bake too.
In the sewing world, I have some new projects.  I received a sack full of shirts to make a sweet couple a remembrance quilt.  Their son passed away a few weeks ago. Still need to get them cut into strips and hopefully I'll have enough to make them something pretty.  I also decided to make a couple of new Christmas throws for the twin beds.  I received the fabric earlier this week. I am excited about making those.  I am using "Little Tree" by Lella Boutique, and using one of those postcard patterns called Cloud Nine.
Can't wait to get started.


No comments: