Sunday, June 9, 2019

Twin Bed Decor, Magic Light Trick, and More

I know life is normally busy for everyone.  The same for me.  I never fail to have many, many things on my to-do list.  I'm a list maker at heart, and very project oriented.  Are a lot of introverts project oriented?  I wonder sometimes.

The thing I've spent most of my time on lately is this little project. Around Easter I felt very sad because my son and his family live so far away.  We have hardly any family anymore to get together and spend time with. I needed a project!  Projects always take my mind off my troubles, or lift my sadness.  So, I started pinning pictures of twin beds and decor for a grandkids/guest room. I wanted it to be simple and homey, to display quilts, and be inviting. Here are a couple of before shots of the room.

I purchased some 1950-60's handmade twin beds and refinished them.  I am very pleased with how they turned out.  They weren't in bad shape to begin with but I wanted to see what kind of wood was beneath than orangey maple look finish. Then I needed a small chest to go between them.  This little jewel was also found on facebook marketplace.  Tried sanding it down but it had some very deep stains on top and the wood seemed to be different, so I chalk painted it using Annie Sloan French Linen (a medium gray).  Once the furniture done, the decor began.
  I had so much fun playing with different quilts on the beds.
 The sconces are some I purchased from Amazon.  I used the "Magic Light Trick" where you pull the wiring out, velcro battery LED puck lights un in the shade, then mount as directed.  No wiring needed!
The rug was purchased from Wayfair.  Now, the final view of the room - ta-da!


I ordered matted and framed prints from Snapseed, from my recent trip to England.  So when the grandkids are here, they know it is "their" room.  :)  I just could not be happier for the way it turned out.  I plan to change out the quilts for the seasons but may have to make one more Christmas quilt....

And before I forget, I did make another little quilt recently for a baby gift.  The new little boy is the son of a golfer.

One more project I finished recently was to organize my shoes.  These clear, envelope style shoe boxes came from Amazon and they are ideal.  However their *might* be about 24 empty cardboard shoe boxes in my garage.....

And lastly I want to document some of our new home pictures.  We are so thankful and are enjoying it every day.






2 comments:

Vivian said...

Love the guest bed set-up including all the seasonal quilt change outs. They're going to love staying there!! Thank you for the information on the puck lights -- have always wanted bedside sconces and never would have thought of that hard wiring work-around. Have also long wanted some easy-access shoe boxes --- might just have to try these!

Rachel said...

Thanks Vivian! Glad you stopped by and enjoyed the post!