Saturday, December 9, 2017

Little but hearty breakfast and other musings

My breakfast for years has been a piece of homemade honey wheat bread and various toppings - butter and jam, cheese, peanut butter and honey.  As I age, I'm finding it is SO EASY to gain weight so I am trying to eat a bit, just a bit, more healthy.  I am, by no means, a foodie, or health and fitness nut, although I am trying to keep my weight down and exercise regularly.

Anyway, I've found something that I love for breakfast.  On my workdays I get up at 4:30, have coffee/tea and breakfast, then head to work.  By 8 I'm starving.  Since I've started this, I don't get hungry until about noon.  That means no morning snacking. I like that.


Mamaw's Oatmeal (named by my granddaughter, who also loves this recipe)

1/4 cup quick cooking oats
1/4 cup milk (and a dash more, of milk or water -- just a tad thick with only 1/4 cup)
Microwave for 1 minute
add 1 Tablespoon of peanut butter (or almond butter)
add about 1 1/2 tsp (almost a T) of Nutella

Stir and eat.  Lately I've also been adding about a 1/2 tsp of coconut oil, to add a healthy fat.  It doesn't make much, but 1/2 cup was too much for me.  This is the perfect amount, for me anyway. And definitely use milk rather than all water.  It is creamy and tastes just like a chocolate oatmeal drop cookie.

Quilting -- I've been asked to make another one block wonder quilt for a magazine!  Yay! So I am looking at various panels, thinking they have the best variation.  Here are a couple I'm considering.  I like one with light, dark, and colors.  The first has a lot of light, which could be good.  The second doesn't really have dark, but I thought the blue and green would make a nice contrast.  If you don't know what I'm talking about when I say One Block Wonder, check this out...


In other news, I received some great pictures from my daughter-in-law.  They took another trip to the highlands and recreated a scene from the James Bond movie, Skyfall.  Although I am not a movie buff, I thought this was neat.
They also posed in the same location as a scene from a Monty Python movie.
They are having such great adventures in Scotland.

Another topic-- anyone have bees?  One of my co-workers retired and is now into bees and has enough honey to sell.  He is using the Flowhive.  I want to do this so bad!  The hubby has said when we get in our new house, with it's big lot, I can have a hive. I know there is lots to learn and it isn't easy but it is so interesting and you get your own local honey!
 The picture below is of me in the early 90's.  My DIL made my day yesterday.  My sister had posted the picture on Facebook and when my DIL saw it she was "weirded out" because she felt like she was looking at an adult Emma (my granddaughter).  Well, goodness gracious, that certainly made my day!  I think she does look like me, but she definitely has her mother's smile and chin.

That's about all I know for today.

We still don't have a Christmas tree up yet......is that bad?  No kids to enjoy it, don't have plans for a Christmas get together here either......




No comments: