Saturday, July 1, 2017

Musings

The hubby and I both went to the dermatologist last week.  I've had a teeny, tiny red spot on my arm for a few years.  Two years ago, at my last visit, they burned it off, but it came back.  Sometimes it would bleed for no reason, it would go away for a few months then come back.  I knew what it was.  Basal cell carcinoma. I am a researcher by nature and I had read enough to know. Even though I was pretty sure what it was I was still hesitant to go to the doctor.  It was tiny.  I mean probably nor even 1/8th of an inch all around. The biopsy hole was much bigger.
I wouldn't have even had it checked, thinking it is ok for a while since it kind of comes and goes, except my sister had one cut out of her arm in the same place and it left a quarter size hole.  I am pretty good about sunscreen on my face and neck; not so much on my arms and legs.  Evidently the left arm is a very common place to have this type of skin cancer due to the lack of sun protection on driver's side car windows.  I had no idea.  It is very, very rare for this type to metastasize.  They got all of mine in the biopsy.

On the quilting front, it has been a very productive couple of days. I got three labels made and sewn on.  I sign my name differently on the quilt depending on the recipient.  If it is one I plan to keep or give to family, I sign my maiden, and two last names.  One of them is the last name of my first marriage and my son and his family.  I want to be sure my great grandchildren will be able to identify their heritage in my quilts..

I also made and sewed on a hanging sleeve for a little baby quilt I made recently.  I had planned on it being a charity quilt for an upcoming auction but it turned out so cute I decided to submit it to Fons and Porter.  Wouldn't you know, they want to publish it is their Summer 2018 Easy Quilts!  That was a nice surprise.  It is different than anything I'd seen in their magazines so I really didn't think they would like it.  Maybe that is why they did??

....and I finished the quilting on my scrappy star quilt.  I've had the blocks on my design wall for about 5 years and finally decided to put them together with plain cream and white squares.  It turned out adorable and I love it so much.  It will go on one of the twin beds I plan to build for my grand children.

On the running front, I had an incredible, wonderful, endorphin filled run yesterday.  I hate running in the summer due to the heat and humidity.  Yesterday morning I really needed to do a longish run so I went out fairly early for me. It drizzled rain the whole six miles.  Glorious.  My heart rate didn't get up as high as normal, my pace was a little faster, and if felt, oh so good.

Running has been the best exercise for me in my whole life.  I walked for years but it didn't do for me, what running has  - reduced my resting heart rate, increased my bone density, and given me strong leg muscles to name a few.  I admit some runs are just hard, but some are like this one - awesome. I only run three times a week, and do the Jeff Galloway run/walk/run method.  Currently I am doing 2 minutes of running to 30 seconds of walking.

Thanks for stopping by......



No comments: