Friday, February 8, 2013

Couch to 5k

I started something today. I really hope I will stick with it. The couch-to-5k training. It is a training program that is supposed to get you ready to run a 5k race in 8 weeks. You only train for 25-30 minutes three times a week, and it is basically alternates between short times of jogging and times of walking.

I found this free app that will guide you. it will tell you when to run and when to walk. nice! Today was really pretty easy. I ended up doing the 25 minute training and then another 30 minutes or so walking with my friend. Felt great! My goal is to run a 5k. I don't care about times but I just want to run and finish one. I have a friend at work who is just a bit older than me and she does 5k races. She is my inspiration!

 

2 comments:

Jan said...

It's a great way to work your way up to 5K without getting discouraged.

I used it for the first time when I got this crazy idea I wanted to run races when I turned 60.

I'll be 62 in July and still racing. I don't run out doors in the winter much and will use c25K to get ready for racing season.

Good luck! I can't wait to see how you do!

Jan

Rachel said...

Thanks Jan! Your experience gives me hope that I, too, can do this. Thanks for your encouragement. My problem will be that I work ten hour days, Monday through Thursday, so it will be difficult to get in even one day of training during those days.