Sunday, January 9, 2011

Shirt Quilt

I started with about 18 shirts.  I finished this quilt (all except the outer border is from the shirts), have enough 2 1/2 in strips to do another one, have more than enough 3 1/2 x 6 1/2 "bricks" to make Bonnie Hunter's "Bricks and Stepping Stones" quilt, plus a ton of extra 2 1/2 inch blocks to make another quilt!  Unbelievable how much material is in one large/extra large shirt.  This pattern is also one from Bonnie Hunter.  It is called Strip Twist.
This one is about 62 x 78 inches.  I used some denim for the outer border and mom gave me some blue chambray to use for the backing.  I am thinking about stitching in one of the pockets from a pair of Levi's on the back....just something a little unique.

If you look closely, you can see some of the shirt labels I included in the strips - Arizona, Ben Sherman, Faded Glory, Duck Head; most were casual shirts.  The red was a Pierre Cardin dress shirt.

No comments: