Saturday, May 8, 2010

Laundry Soap

I've discovered homemade laundry soap.  The Dugger family (19+ kids) supposedly uses this.  I just hated paying $16-18 dollars for 100 ounces of HE laundry detergent.  Three simple ingredients plus water.  It says you can make this for about 40 cents a load, but by my calculations, it is much, much less than that - like just a couple of pennies a load!  The recipe makes 2 gallons.  I paid about $8 for the ingredients, but with the little you use of the borax and washing soda, those two ingredients alone will last years!!  This morning, I am washing everything in sight, trying to decide if I like it.  I do.  The soap mixture itself smells a little funky.  I added some lavender oil, but can't really tell if that makes a difference.  The clothes come out only smelling fresh, not funky. I can add a nice smell with liquid softener, or softener sheets.  Yes, I like it.  I love being frugal. If anyone wants the recipe, email me, or I am sure you can find it if you google it.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I would love to have this recipe. I too am trying to find ways to save money and laundry detergents are so expensive nowadays.

Dana McDaniel said...

Ok send me the recipe. I want to try it as well. The cost I love and the fact it is HE compatible is even better.