Sunday, July 21, 2013

How to make an ironing board

I saw this on the Missouri Quilt Company web site, but I am not sure if it is still available. This is a very simple method to make a custom ironing board for your quilt studio. I have a small 30x30 table I use for ironing and have used a little 12x18 ironing board for years.

It is really too small, and I can't easily wash it when needed. My friend gave me a piece of 1/4 inch board, about 18x27. I think it came off of an old stereo/radio.

Take an old towel. Measure and cut so after sewing the sides up, the board will slide into it.

Sew the side seams together. I had to use my walking foot.

Slide the board inside. I also slid in some insulated batting I had on hand, but I don't think that is really necessary.

Fold the extra under the side away from you. You want to leave it so you can slide it off and wash it as needed.

Simple. Frugal. Functional. Since I used batting inside, I could also make a cover from some really pretty fabric. I love having more space to iron.

 

No comments: