Thursday, July 12, 2012

Chemistry

Oh my, I love chemistry.  When my son was in college, a chemistry major, he did some science illustrations for church kids.  A friend asked me recently about one of those, so I was digging in our old chemicals when I found this stuff -- sodium polyacrylate.  Amazing stuff.
 It is the stuff they put in baby diapers to make the liquid gel.  And wow, it works.

I used this in our AWANA program at church to illustrate how we need to trust God, even when a situation seems impossible.  I put a little bit in the bottom of a paper cup.  The kids didn't know it was there, but they watched me pour water into the cup.  Then I asked my volunteer if he trusted me, because I was going to turn the cup over on his head, but I told him that he would not get wet.  Because they saw me pour the water, they were all convinced, he would get wet.  I turned the cup over, and nothing came out.  The water, in a few seconds, turned to a gel that stuck to the bottom of the cup.  Lesson learned -- many things seem impossible to us, be we don't know everything.  We don't know what good God is working in our lives.

No comments: