Sunday, March 14, 2010

Eat your greens

I was the pickiest eater as a child.  Really.  I think I grew up on cheese sandwiches, hot dogs, and chocolate milk. In my forties, something changed.  I started cooking more, trying new foods, and really enjoying food.  Sounds kind of wierd, but true.  I made up a recipe tonight that I thought was fabulous.  I really like raw spinach.  It is so healthy and yummy. I've been experimenting with creamed spinach.  Here it is and it sure is good!

thick pat of butter
~ 1/4 cup water
bag of fresh spinach
~ 1/4 cup of cream cheese
~ 1/4 tsp of minced garlic
~ 1 to 2 Tablespoons of cream or half and half
salt and pepper
good sprinkle of parmesean cheese

melt the butter and throw in the spinach and the water on top.  Cover until the spinach starts to wilt.  Add the cream cheese, garlic, salt and pepper.  Stir until evenly mixed.  Add the cream and parmesean. Stir well until spinach is cooked down.  Don't cook it too much or it will get like mush.

Yummy.  Would go well with any meat or pasta. This would serve 2-3, unless one of them is me, then it only serves one!

No comments: