Saturday, August 27, 2016

Summer Supper, cooking, and paddling

My husband always says that if a meal is colorful it is usually healthy.  We had veggies tonight and it was all so good.  A friend gave us some divine okra.  I'd never heard of it.  It is 2-3 times the size of regular okra and it was so good!


I fried it like regular okra and it pretty much fell apart but it was very delicious.  Friday, I did a little cooking......
     

One of our favorite meals is a homemade chicken pot pie.  I use the Pillsbury piecrust in rolls, but everything else is homemade.

Recipe:
Cook cut up chicken tenders or breasts (2-3 breasts) with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and a little Italian seasoning. Layer in a pie crust over one rolled out crust.

Cut up 2-3 potatoes, 2-3 stalks of celery, a few carrots, and a handful of frozen peas. Put in a microwave dish with some cut up Rosemary, several pats of butter, salt and pepper. Microwave for 10 minutes.

In a saucepan heat about a 1/2 cup of chicken broth with a tablespoon of flour, 1/2 stick of butter.  Stir well to blend and add 1/2 cup heavy cream.

Spoon cooked veggies over the chicken, pour the mixture over all (may need to add a little more broth if it seems too thick), cover with a second rolled crust.  Use a knife to cut out three little leaves of the leftover dough (I always do this). Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

You can add other vegetables too, like onions, mushrooms, or whatever you have. As you can see I load mine up with lots of veggies.  We will get to have leftovers tomorrow after church. Yum.

Also did a little paddle boarding today.  So hot.  After doing a long run on Friday night (although inside to avoid the head and humidity), and paddling a little over an hour today, I was zonked.


I have one friend about my age that paddles.  She and her husband just bought a lakeside home so we paddled there.  It was great to go to a new place.  Mostly likely that was my last time to paddle for the season. I am working this week and will be leaving next week to welcome my new little grandson into the world - another Scotland trip.  My longest yet -- 3 weeks!

No comments: