Saturday, March 7, 2020

Painting

I did something last night that I've wanted to do for a long time.  Our church's Women Enrichment Group hosted a painting party.  I signed up, along with about 25 other women.  We had a young lady teach us how to make a fairly simple painting. Here is her painting that we used to mimic or create our own version.


It seemed to be a lot more detailed than most of the ones I've seen used at other painting parties.  I'm glad though, I really like it.

Here is my version...
I enjoyed it so much I made a trip to Hobby Lobby today for some paints.  I bought a collection a few years ago when I tried some rock painting but most were dried up.  When I did it before, I didn't know about Pinterest and all the inspiration available.  Today I found a picture there and tried to recreate it.  I'd give credit for the photo but I could not find the originator.  I may still work on my version some.  My yellow isn't as vibrant.  Top is my inspiration.  Isn't it beautiful?  Bottom is my version.  Not too bad for a newbie.
So much fun!

My DIL is running the Saucony Cambridge Half Marathon tomorrow in Cambridge, England, where they live.  I'm excited for her.  I was supposed to go and run with her but cancelled a few weeks ago.  I wasn't ready for the half and I had visited in December. I'm sure I will be seeing them later this summer.  But today, I did 8 miles in her honor!  Two miles inside, then 6 down at the track.



Indoor runs are always slow and easy.  I take no walk breaks on those.  Outdoor runs I do 90/30, or 90 seconds of running to 30 seconds of walking.  Great for preventing injuries especially for someone my age, 61.  A 12 minute mile is really good for me.

I did another rock this evening......
Inspiration....and I think the photo is one of RockArtAttack's creations on Etsy.  Awesome artist. Check them out.  They do amazing work.


And then here is mine.  Love trying to do the shading.  Figured out though, I need some smaller brushes or some very fine pointed paint pens.

I knew I would love to do this.  I think I can get better if I keep at it.

It has been a good day.



2 comments:

elaine said...

You are so talented. Where did you get the rocks?? I need some that shape for my grand kids to paint. I enjoy seeing your quilting projects and now your woodworking. You sure don't let grass grow under your feet!! LOL!
FYI, I followed your blog back several years ago then lost you web address because my computer died. I just bought a new computer and when I installed Google Chrome your address came up with others that I followed. Your grand kids have grown so much and are so adorable. I enjoy seeing your pictures when you visit your son and his family because I love visiting Scotland and England.
Thanks for the inspiration with quilting projects and life.
Elaine

Rachel said...

Hi Elaine,
I think I responded to you, but wanted to leave a note here just in case I didn't. Yeah, whatever I am into, I am ALL IN!! Glad you found me again! I stole some rocks from our landscaping and then bought some at a local rock materials place, by the weight! I think 60 pounds (or a five gallon bucket, hand picked) was $5. I am having a ball with this new rock painting hobby! Thanks for commenting.

Rachel