Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Quilts, cabinets and other musings - the end of summer 2021

 I almost forgot to post my finished cabinet with the quilts.  It was a good project although a very hot one to do in a garage a 92 degrees.  I need to remember wood refinishing is best done in a season other than summer.


I tried bleaching the wood first but it didn't bleach well.  Later I read that cherry doesn't bleach well.  I ended up using tongue oil product on the sanded finish. It brought out the natural variations of the wood. I used it before when refinishing the twin beds and have always been pleased with the final look.




Very happy with the final product. Finishing wood is always a rough job but always worth it.

I've been patiently waiting to get a tablet computer connected to my Gammill long arm machine.  We've had one difficulty after another.  Hopefully by next weekend I'll be sewing on it.  Today's issue was the cable connected through the handlebars wasn't working properly.  First the tablet was bad.  Oh well, just gotta "roll with it" as my granddaughter says. I'm sure we will get it all working fine before long.  In the meantime, I am continuing to sew, so now have six, yes SIX, quilts ready to quilt.

I made two of the Songbook fabric line quilts.  Love these so much.  One for us, and one for a gift.
Then I made this patriotic quilt, designed by Erica Arndt. She has these truck patterns for every season.
I designed and made two baby quilts.  One in pinks and one with these teal and green fabrics.  I love the design but haven't heard from the magazines in several weeks so I don't think they are going to choose it for the issue. It is easy and cute so if they don't choose it I'll be posting it as a free pattern.
Then just this week I finished the Grace quilt from Thimbleblossoms.  I purchased the kit last spring.

In other news, this handsome, sweet, precious little boy turned five!!  He is the absolute best. He has this Mamaw (and Papaw) wrapped around his little finger.  How does that happen??  That little smiling face just melts my heart.  He is always smiling.


His momma made the cutest birthday cake, complete with diggers and tractors.  It was so great for ALL the family to get together to celebrate this boy.  When I say all, I mean, my ex-husband, his wife and his three sisters (and two husbands) all came to our house.  Something I've prayed would happen -- all of us could be together, forgiving the past, to celebrate our joint grandchildren. We all get along great. Such a blessing.

              
               His great aunt made this great chocolate piñata that he got to bust with a little hammer.


The only rock painting I've done lately is this one for my retiring Ob/GYN.  This doctor is the best and I will miss my annual visits.  I've been seeing him for over 30 years. He is kind and wonderful, and dealt with my uterine cancer a few years ago with such compassion and patience.


So there you have it -- an end of summer update!


No comments: