Saturday, August 7, 2021

New Wood Project

I've been looking for a cabinet to use for small quilt storage.  Watched facebook marketplace for several months hoping to find a glass front cabinet the right size.  Finally found it and it is the perfect size. It had been used for a bookcase in its former home.

I thought I'd like to try to remove the stain and bleach the wood.
The wood is cherry  After putting three coats of bleach on it, I learned that cherry doesn't bleach well. It definitely was lighter, but I think most of that is due to removing the stain and sanding. It didn't turn the color of bleached oak I was hoping for.
That little hand sander is the best!  I like this tool better than power sanders, chemical strippers, or sanding blocks.  I know why wood workers love wood....after I got the stain removed and used the 320 grit...if felt so smooth, like butter.  :)

My plan now is to put an oil based sealer on that just enhances the natural wood.  I think it will still be pretty and not so orangey as it was in the beginning. I plan to paint the inside white.  It has two shelves.  The next time you see it, it will be filled with quilts.
 

1 comment:

Jan said...

I can't wait to see it full of your beautiful quilts. Good find!