Sunday, June 24, 2012

Almost half done!

I really can't believe how fast this is going.  I prayed for inspiration, some pattern that would make good use of all of his shirts, and something that I could do rather quickly.  Thank you Lord, for answering my prayer!

From this....

to this......

I have four rows put together, just six more and the borders to go.  I also made a few extra four-patch blocks that I might put across the back. And there is still this much shirt fabric left.....

I plan to use the blues for the binding.  I am not sure what I will do with all of the leftovers but I can't stand to just throw them away.  Normally, I will cut them up in 2 1/2 inch strips and save them.  The gentleman's widow did not want them back.

She is 89 and appears to be in pretty good health, but she is grieving for her husband very much.  I want to get this to her as quickly as I can in hopes it will provide comfort as she wraps it around her and feels his shirts close to her.

Shirts are a bit difficult to work with.  Dress shirts are great for not stretching but they tend to ravel profusely.  Flannels add a nice contrast but they tend to stretch.  This quilt almost reminds me of an argyle pattern.  I am very happy with it and am excited about doing some custom quilting on it.

My quilt looks nothing like the one that inspired me but I believe it will turn out just as nice.  You can see it here at Leah's Quilted Delights.



No comments: